Thursday 27 December 2012

What my daily diet usually looks like

I've been getting a lot of questions asking what I eat on a daily basis. Instead of writing it out quickly everytime, and missing details, I thought I'd do a blog post about it so everyone can look back at it whenever they want :)

I'm sorry to say, my diet is REALLY boring. I eat pretty much the same thing everyday. I find it easier to stay on track and stay organized when things stay for the most part the same. I do tweak portion sizes and timing depending on what marcro breakdown I'm using (ie. How much Protein, Carb, Fat I'm getting at the time) and what time of the day I get my workouts in.

Since I'm working toward a competition, I also stick to things I can measure very accurately with measuring cups or scales (ie, no healthy, clean casseroles or stews which can vary a lot in calorie count and macro breakdown depending on what you get in your scoop! :)

So here it goes, this is a typical day, and all I really change are serving sizes to meet my plan :)

Meal one- Oatmeal (typical add ins are cocoa, stevia, berries, or natural peanut butter.....not all in the same serving) and egg whites

Meal two-Typically this an hour before workout, I usually have two Jamie Eason Turkey Muffins (recipe is under the WHAT I EAT tab on my blog)

Post Workout- Whey Protein Shake and a Medium Banana

Meal Three- Chicken, Sweet Potato or Brown Rice, and A rice cake with Natural PB

Meal Four-Chicken, Sweet Potato or Brown Rice and Vegetables (sometimes I will remove the sweet potato/rice here depending on what my carb intake is for the day.)

Meal Five-Chicken, Vegetables, and Natural Peanut Butter on Celery

Before Bed, Either a Casein Shake or Egg whites

If I need to add calories....(my calorie count seems to be growing every week)...I'll add Greek yogurt with Natural PB and some cocoa, or I'll blend some Fat Free Cottage cheese in the magic bullet with some unsweetened Chocolate Almond milk, Cocoa, and some PB2 or Natural PB....both of those recipes are also under the WHAT I EAT tab.

And THAT'S IT!!!! I've been eating this way since August, and it works great for me...no cravings, always satisfied :) When I get closer to the time I have to lean out, I'll definitly be taking dairy out of the equation, because I get a little bloated when I eat it, but for now, it's working ;)

 
 
I'm also ALWAYS prepared!! I'm on mat leave right now, so I don't have to be SUPER organized with tupperwear and all, but this is what my fridge always looks like.
 
On the lower shelf I have a nice stockpile of Greek Yogurt and Low Fat Cottage Cheese
On the middle left I have a big ziplock bag full of Turkey Meatballs.
                               Next to that I have a tupperwear full of Baked chicken breast.
                                     On top of that, a tupperwear full of Baked Sweet Potatoes
              On the top shelf I have a huge stockpile of Egg Whites as I go through them like water!

The Crispers are always full of vegetables in case I want to throw in a salad here and there.  I replace my Natural Peanut Butter Servings with Avacado in that case :)
I cook everything in advance about three days....more than that I find it just doesn't taste fresh enough for my liking. The vegetables in my meals are usually frozen green beans or broccoli, and I cook them fresh everyday. I don't like veggies that have been sitting around more than a day, and I don't end up eating them!!!

So there you go!!! I hope this helps. And I'm sorry that it's not more exciting!! I'm telling ya though, if you stick to it for three weeks, you will LOVE IT!!!! All cravings will have disappeared and I promise you won't feel deprived at all!!

10 comments:

  1. Have you lost weight on this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup,I had my daughter in july and lost 30 lbs in just over a month eating like this. (all the baby weight plus 4 lbs )Since then, I've been upping my calories weekly because I'm still losing. (My goal is muscle gain at this point so I don't want that!)I eat like this, and 2200 cals a day right now and I'm maintaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I assume you are breastfeeding as well, and that is part of the reason your calories are so high? Have you been exercising the entire time since having your daughter while on this diet? Except the first 6 weeks I assume. I just had my daughter in August so I can relate. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I had to raise my calories about 250/day so my milk supply didn't get affected. I found this did the trick...I kept raising my calories from there though, because I was still losing weight every week (not cause my supply was affected

    I was SUPER sick when I was pregnant, so I only worked out once or twice till after 5 months...that's when I started to feel better and I did Jamie Eason's LiveFIT phases one and two till the day before I had Haley. Without the cardio....cardio made me feel funny. I ended up with a c-section and couldn't work out for 8 weeks, but I've been going strong since then!!! She's 6 months now, so I've been working out for 4 months, but haven't added back any cardio yet.

    Congrats on your daughter!! I find the hardest part of sticking to everything is the lack of sleep!! I feel like a zombie most days, but I still make it to the gym and eat right!! That's my thing and I need to still feel like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your total calorie count daily then? I have been struggling with my supply, so she's supplements twice a day with formula (bummer). I'm thinking it's b/c I'm not eating enough--even though I feel like I eat all day long! I've tried EVERYTHING to increase my supply, nothing seems to be working, so I really think it boils down to not eating enough. Afraid that working out also decreases it. But not sure. Welcome to motherhood, right? :-)

      I was like you, super sick the first 4 months I was pregnant, so working out took a backseat for a while, as did my gym membership. When I started to feel better I would walk and do light weights up until she was born. I've been walking, and trying other things since I was ok'd to workout again (about 12 weeks pp). I am just starting to get back into a weight lifting routine in addition. I lost a ton of weight while I was pregnant, and ended up only gaining 10 lbs. Somehow, I've gained more since then, and weigh more now than I did 9 months pregnant!!

      Thanks for the inspiration. Hopefully my work will pay off in the end!

      Delete
  5. My calorie intake when I was maintaining weight (lot losing or gaining) and my supply wasn't affected was 2100/day!!! Once I got to 2200 I was starting to put on some muscle finally!! Keep in mind at 2100/day I was also burning about 300-400/day with my workouts. My weight at the time was 125 and I'm 5'5 so maybe that will help you get a starting point anyway. Everyone is different, so I'd start there, and make small adjustments when you see how it's working for you!!:)

    I gained 26 lbs with my pregnancy, so a bit more, but lost it all before even being able to start working out again...so that was a relief!! HAHA I hope everything works out for you, I'm sure it will, and be sure to message me if you have any other questions and I'll try to help!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Stephanie! Your blog is such an inspiration! Thank you for posting such details of your journey! I'm in a different phase of my 'getting back in shape project' and would love to hear from you. I gained 65lbs with my 2nd pregnancy (I can't really work while preggers due to bad sciatic) and my little one is now 8 months (I also have a 4 year old). I already lost 45lbs but still have 30lbs to go (still have some lbs left from 1st baby) before I even think of building muscle! Do you think I should follow your diet or it's too many calories when I have so much lbs to lose? Thanks :)
    (I'm new to blogging, and am starting to also write about my journey here: www.confessionsofahealthymommy.com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Daniela, first of all thanks for your kind words :)AND CONGRATS for losing 45Lbs!! That's awesome!! As for following what my diet is..Recently I have been trying to gain muscle, therefore eating quite a few calories above maintenance so I could put on some weight. If you want to be losing weight you'd want to be at your maintenance minus 250-500 calories /day. A good starting point to LOSE would be 10-12x your bodyweight(LBS) For a start I would use 12xBW. Are you breastfeeding?? If so, I'd add a couple hundred calories to that number so that your milk production isn't affected. If you notice milk levels decreasing you may have to add a bit more.

    In general though, my advice would be 12xBW (+250 if you are breastfeeding) Stick to good clean food for two weeks. If you lose weight, GREAT, stick with those numbers....if you don't, then you could use 11XBW for the following two weeks and see what happens!! It's really a trial and error game, It took me a while to find out what my maintenance was, and when I'm done breastfeeding I'm sure it will all change on me again!! :) LOL

    Hope this helps, and I will DEFINITLY come check out your blog!! Sharing with others definitly helps with motivation!! Keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Stephanie! Thank you for the reply! I'm not breastfeeding anymore, I'm usually done by 6 months :)
    I have a feeling that my body has hit a plateau since losing the first 45lbs. Do you do any protein shakes? I lost the 45lbs by doing the Visalus (Body By Vi) Meal Replacement Shakes twice per day. So, that's what I am still trying to do, but now I'm working out a lot more (I do bootcamp at least 3x a week) and Im just not losing anymore. My trainer says I'm not eating enough calories, but I'm so scared of food :( I just did the math on 12xBW and 2000 calories just scared the crap out me!!! I've been doing an average of 1400 cal a day, but haven't really paid any attention to the carb/fat/prot proportions. I am also my own enemy, and have a real hard time with sugar! I love coffee but can't drink it without sugar, so I may just need to cut coffee out of my life! Urgh! I just really need my body back and get lean again! I'm going to make your turkey meatballs tonight. I'm super excited!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do a post workout whey shake, but other than that I'm pro good ole food....I love eating too, so it bums me out to drink my calories ;)

    I agree with your trainer that you probably need more calories! Your body is probably holding on to whatever you give it because it's starving! I know, because I went through the same thing! After my daughter, I had really good weight loss at 1400ish calories and then it went stagnant all of the sudden! Someone told me I was starving and to up my calories to 2000!! I know what you mean about being scared to add because I was shared SH#@*less!! HAHA But I didn't gain ANYTHING, I was even losing....at a slow pace...but I was starting to lose again!! And gotta love being able to eat so much more food!:) If you really don't want to do it, I'd recommend adding maybe 100-200 calories a week and make the change gradually. See what happens!! Adding slowly like that what's the worst that can happen right!!? And I'm 99% sure you will be pleasantly suprised!!!

    I wouldn't worry too much about the ratios right now...but try to get a gram of protein per lb of bodyweight to fuel your muscles, and just concentrate on good clean food!!

    Have you tried stevia in your coffee....it takes a bit of getting used to..but after a while it's good!! If you try it, just make sure stevia leaf is the only ingredient in the ingredient list. They tend to add crap to that too if you're not careful!! :)

    Hope you liked the meatballs!! Keep me updated on how everything works out! Even if you find different info that works I'd be interested in hearing about it! I have lots to learn too :)

    ReplyDelete