Tuesday 20 May 2014

What is Alkalinity, and why is it Important to Understand??

On my Facebook page a few days ago, I posted about my problems with alkalinity, and parts of how it's affecting me, and PART of how I'm dealing with it. It stirred up a lot more interest than I expected so I decided to write a blog post about it!! I could go in MANY different directions with this, but I'll try to keep it as short as possible and simple ;)

Alkalinity is important for EVERYONE, but most important for the extremely active, and the extremely sick population (this is because the stresses both have on their body are actually quite similar)

Pretty much EVERYTHING our body does to live daily causes acid. In order to dispose of these acids, we need buffers from minerals and electrolytes. These acids need to be neutralized so they can be removed thru sweat, urine and stool. If we go long periods without neutralizing these acids, it causes breakdown of protein, DNA, causes the body to slow down and even TURN OFF cellular functions (metabolic rate, detoxification, and exercise performance) What does this cause.....well all those things that I mentioned in my Facebook post!!! Plateau in weight loss, hormone imbalances, sore joints because of inflammation, irritability because of poor sleep, body holding onto water in the wrong area's of the cell (making you look bloated) etc!!! If it gets bad enough for long enough, it will even lead to serious illness, cancer and disease!!!

What Causes Acid in our System:

*Stress
*Detoxification
*Metabolic Rate and Digestion
*Cell Growth and Repair
*Immune System
*Inflammation

As you can imagine...a person who is working out intensely, or VERY sick will be dealing with all these examples on a daily basis....so if we don't buffer these acids somehow, our bodies will run into a wall.

How can we buffer or REMOVE lactic Acid?

*Non-Starchy nutrient dense vegetables or GREENS-the customary 5 servings of vegetables a day isn't enough, we need upwards of 13-20 servings
*Limit Foods that cause acidity in the body, and eat more alkaline foods (chart below)





*minerals (magnesium, multi-vitamins)
*electrolytes (GOOD QUALITY)
*Sodium Bicarbonate
*potassium Bicarbonate is the best source (found in baking soda)

******I just bought a very expensive supplement after shipping and Customs from the US....consisting of Sodium and potassium bicarbonate ONLY. Hopefully this will help my cause!!! If any Canadians know of a similar supplement in Canada, PLEASE post below!!!

*Cleanses and DETOXES can be a great way to kickstart your progress and get your levels back to normal quickly!!!
*Change your workout volume from Hypertrophy workouts to low rep STRENGTH workouts, and to not work the lactic acid systems

If proper foods and supplements aren't getting your levels back to normal, you may have to tailor back your workouts and give your body time to get back to balance. The more you workout, the more acid you create, so if you just CAN'T keep up, you may need some time off (whence me cutting down my volume, and cardio performed till I get this under control)

How do you perform a simple cheap acidity test at home ?

You will need
*PH litmus papers from a health food store (rip off 7 strips)
*Distilled water
*A real lemon

***Do in the morning before eating or having any coffee!!

Your BASELINE
This number will represent your body at homeostasis...you haven't worked out recently, are rested and have had lots of time to buffer acid. If you AREN'T a 7-8pH it could mean you are deficient in acid buffers. If it IS a 7-8, is still doesn't mean you are great at buffering acid, it just means that given enough time your body can get to a good level

Minutes 1-5 -
These are the important numbers...and will show you how you buffer acid in the body, and how quickly. The lemon water will bring pH down to a 5...acid buffers in your saliva SHOULD bring the acid level in your mouth back to a 7-8 within those 5 minutes....

SO

1. Swish some distilled water around in your mouth. After a few seconds, take your BASELINE reading. (compare colour with the chart that will come with the strips)

2. Pour a little more distilled water into a glass, and squeeze a good amount of lemon into the glass...drink, and take your START LEVEL. This should be a 5.

3. Every Minute there after (for 5 minutes), take another reading and record.

If your baseline was a 7-8 and you get back to there after 5 minutes, you're GOLD, good work!!! :)
If your baseline was a 7-8 and you only get back to a six, you have some work to do
If your baseline was a 6 and you may or may not get back to 6...like I was, YOU HAVE LOTS of work to do!! HAHA

YOU should be doing the cleanse and detox with me starting on May 26th...message me for details on this challenge, and I will send you the supplement info, and cost! Even the testers who don't make it back to 7-8 completely will benefit from this process!!!

Here is a link to a supplement vlog I did, describing what I use to keep myself functioning properly! If you go to the last few minutes, I show some of the products used in the cleanse..(I would HIGHLY recommend getting the Product B as well)..there will also be a Facebook group for support through the tough days!!! I know you will love it as much as I did! :) Let me know if you want more information, and I will get you set up!!! OperationLean




In the meantime, if you don't get enough vegetables, get yourself some powdered greens and start on that supplementation right away, and drink lots and lots of water, include electrolytes post workout as well. This should start you in the right direction!

I hope this was helpful, if you have any more questions, post in the comments and I will try to answer everything!! :)

Want to learn MORE!!!? Make sure to subscribe to this blog so you don't miss out on future posts!!! There should be many more to come this summer!

Follow me on Facebook : www.facebook.com/operationcompetitionlean
Twitter and Instagram : @operationlean
Check out my services and challenges : http://smackid.wix.com/operationlean








No comments:

Post a Comment