Wednesday 25 June 2014

Post Competition Reflection

Wow, what a week, what a prep!!! Now that it's all over, I don't even know where to start. New goals, relief, confusion, success, disappointment, excitement, etc, are flooding my brain, and I don't really know what to do with it all??!


To be honest, ever since my last competition in October of last year, I had planned on competing ONE MORE TIME, before planning on expanding family. I stuck with my plan and my training, despite, never being quite as motivated as I was last year. I always want to see improvements, but my HEART wasn't in competition prep this time around!! :(

I took the judges notes (build shoulders, and bum, to make the appearance of a smaller waist) and more volume in my hair to heart, and worked my ARSE off all winter trying to put on as much mass as possible!! Doing all of this in such a short time period, DEFINITELY added to my fat mass as well! Even though I was meeting my goals, I have NEVER been so down and out. I REALLY don't like the growing phase, and was beginning to wonder why I was doing all of this, what am I REALLY achieving??

About two months ago, after putting on a whopping 9 lbs of muscle in 7ish months but struggling to get the added fat off, I looked back at progress pics leading up to my October show. I couldn't BELIEVE how amazing I looked!!! Why had I not been happy with my physique in that show?? Was it because I didn't place as well as I would have liked?? Is it because I DID want to be more muscular?? Was it because the judges had a different idea of what I should look like than I did?? I really haven't pinpointed my feelings on this, but I know I would give pretty much anything just to look like that three week out picture again!!! I wish I had appreciated it when I had it! I basically improved my body all winter, just to look like someone else wants me to look. This is one of those important things to understand when you are going into a prep for competition. Use it as a goal to get your physique where YOU want it to be, to get yourself out of your comfort zone, to make new amazing friends, to inspire others and much much more. Don't get caught up in how you place. I think the the first time around, theres so much excitement and learning going on, you just want to get thru it, but as you become more experienced, you put that added pressure on yourself to place, and it takes the FUN out of it!

Am I proud of my achievements?? ABSOLUTELY, I worked REALLY hard, and made HUGE gains. I learned a tonne about my body through ups and downs with hormones, ups and downs with alkalinity, ups and downs with energy levels, ups and downs with sleep quality etc!! If I hadn't gone through this journey, I wouldn't know how to fuel myself to feel INCREDIBLE!!!
Not to mention, this journey has made me some of the BEST friends anyone could ask for!!! It's really incredible how many people I have met through social media (some I have FINALLY met in person) that I feel an amazing connection to! I've been able to do photo shoots, with amazing photographers, have had pictures and articles published in magazines, attended amazing camps and SO MUCH MORE!!! An actual trophy and pro card is such a small part of the experience, and I really have cherished every part of it!!!

So what now???

It's time to re-evaluate what I really want. I've got to make a new vision board and create new realistic, timely goals....and obviously fitness will always be part of this journey. I'm planning on completing MI40X, concentrating on CEP training. (more blogs coming on this) http://www.mi40x.com and focusing on slow and steady improvements!! I know now, that I like to be lean...I'm not sacrificing leanness to grow. Realistically, I won't get much bigger taking this approach, and that's ok! If I EVER hit the stage again, it's not going to be until I look like a different person. (watch me get the itch again before the end of summer! HAHA) If it doesn't happen, that is ok. Hopefully I will be INSPIRED by a new program like I was by Ben's last program http://www.hypertrophymax.com/welcome-offer.php (only comes out twice a year, so keep your eyes peeled!!!) This is where I learned pretty much everything new this past year! It's incredible and well worth the investment!



When it comes to diet, I plan on taking the "flexible dieting" approach. If I need to get lean, I know how to do it, but I'm happy with how I am now, and want to enjoy family outings, ditch the tupperware and baggies, and not worry about nutrient timing or missing meals. Flexible dieting is BASICALLY IIFYM (if it fits your macros) but I find most IIFYM camps thrive on how much crap they can put in their bodies while still meeting their macros. Feeling GOOD is important to me, so I WON'T be taking that approach...still good healthy, alkaline forming foods, that fuel your body, and prevent disease! Here is a pic of the food I ate the day after my competition.


THIS is flexible dieting for me, everything was healthy, I didn't feel deprived at all (quite the contrary actually, my tastebuds were in heaven!!!)

I'm going to continue to change lives with the sisters in shape 60 day challenges, where our ladies have created AMAZING friendships, while achieving incredible results, and learning the tools needed to change their lives. http://smackid.wix.com/operationlean to sign up!!! Next challenge will be starting SEPTEMBER 1!! We have sold out every challenge, so get yourself on the list now!!!  :)




I will also still be doing one on one training, whether it be training for a competition, or wanting more guidance in changing your lifestyle, I can help get you there!!! :)
I KNOW how amazing the experience of competing is, and I understand the excitement. I don't regret anything I learned from the experience!!! Just KNOW, that I do take the healthy approach to training, and you will have to give yourself 16 weeks at least. Slow and steady wins this race!!! ;)

I want to do more things non-fitness related that I used to enjoy so much....like photography!!! :) Maybe fitness photography??? LOL Anyone willing to be my fitness model to start my portfolio??
Contact me if you are in the Calgary area and are interested steph.laurendeau@sisinshape.com

I want to expand my business....so if you are a trainer, who has clients ROCKING it in the gym, but LOSING it in the kitchen, please contact me @steph.laurendeau@sisinshape.com I want to create a group of trainers working together to help our clients to remain more compliant with their diets!!!

I have SO MUCH more to talk about fitness and nutrition related, so I have set a goal to produce at least on great article/blog per month. This is realistic, and if I can do more, I most certainly will!

Most importantly, I'm looking fwd to concentrating on something OTHER than myself for a while. I plan on being a better wife, mom and friend. Competing is a very selfish sport, while being a great role model, especially near the end, you can't help but be looking out for number one WAY TOO MUCH to feel good about yourself.



Until next time all you wonderful people! Keep exercising and eating healthy!! Feel free to message me anytime either at my email, here in the comments, or on my Facebook page!!! I love hearing from you guy!! :)

~Steph



No comments:

Post a Comment