Wednesday 17 April 2013

FEM Camp Recap

Well, After all the pics I posted on my facebook page, I figured I should really let you all know more about what was experienced at the FEM camp weekend!!! :) www.femcamp.net or check out www.facebook.com/MonicaFEMCamp

I was originally planning on attending the Camp in Kelowna since it's so much closer to my hometown of Calgary. However my husband had something going on that weekend so I was going to have to be home for my daughter. I wanted to attend bad enough that I purchased a ticket all the way to Toronto which added a LOT of cost to the weekend! I had to fly in the day before, and out the morning after because of flight times, which made the hotel stay a lot more $ too.....this all being said, I STILL think it was worth the money!! I had so much fun, made so many friends and left feeling better about my stage presence, happy that I got myself out of my comfort zone, and had a rejuvinated desire to kick this competition in the arse! HAHA

I was SUPER excited to meet one of my Idols and the presenter of the camp Monica Brant! What she has done in this industry is incredible. I loved it when she got off topic because it meant that we were hearing another amazing story about putting yourself out there and making opportunities HAPPEN for yourself rather than waiting for something great to come to you! She's been SO successful in life, and she deserves it. The positive vibe she puts out, and paying it forward results in greatness.



I'm not gonna lie, the highlight of my trip was FINALLY getting to meet Erica Willick of www.facebook.com/sistersinshape. When I originally set my goal of competing after my daughter was born, this was the page that gave me the information I needed to get started! We've been supporting each other for about 8 months now, and when my motivation is dwindling she always has the best advice! It was like we knew each other forever and I was so happy to finally get to meet her and some of the other Sisters in Shape Team as well!



The energy in the room at checkin day one was contagious. I could tell my the enthusiasm of everyone in attendance that it was going to be a great weekend! My first though looking around is HOLY CRAP I'm in over my head! These girls were in serious shape!!! But that's the great thing about this camp! Because it's put on by THE Monica Brant, you assume it's just for the hardcore fitness competitors!! This is SO not the case! There is something for everyone :) There's modifications for exercises, and even though you may not be interested in posing practice, you can't imagine how strutting your stuff, getting yourself out of your comfort zone and looking sexy can improve your self esteem! All the while having a room full of AMAZING personalities cheering you on and having a blast...priceless.



We started off with a lower body workout! Broken into groups we went through circuits of exercises that weren't so common. We learned lots of different things that I can now throw into my repertoire to change things up now and then! Some of the exercises I may not do if there are too many people at the gym (if you know what I mean) but I felt sore the next day and that is awesome!!! The afternoon was spent on Posing practice and this is one of the things I was most looking forward to! I've been practicing a lot in my heels, but I need to get myself in front of an audience and REALLY do it up! I learned that my POSING itself is OK, it's my T-Walk that needs a lot of work. I knew before that SOMETHING was wrong with my walk but couldn't pinpoint it!? I laughed when Monica grabbed me and says "SOMETHINGS Wrong here" LOL me replying "I KNOW RIGHT!!!?" Now I know what's wrong and just have to put it to practice! That in itself was worth the trip!



Day two was and upper body workout followed by a bootcamp style workout, followed by more posing and T-Walk Practice. I was spent after that!!!! We had three hours in the afternoon off to get a spray tan done for the next day's photoshoot with Paul Buceta. www.paulbuceta.com (Oxygen Magazine Photographer) I was surprised when people started seeing my photos not knowing, how many said it could be a cover for Oxygen! HAHA He definitely has a certain style! :)




Saturday Evening was probably the most motivating part of the weekend for me! It was a night of presentations from Monica Brant, telling us about her time in the industry. Followed by a talk with Oxygen Editor .......Crocker, talking about how to get your photo's into their magazine, and other opportunities with their magazine.  Next was Two Chicks and some Lipstick https://www.facebook.com/twochicksandsomelipstick talking about Makeup for photoshoots and competition! We ended with Erica Willick (www.sisinshape.com ) who gave a presentation about how she got her break into the industry. Some being in the right place at the right time, followed by a lot of work and perseverance. ALL in all a VERY motivational and educational evening. I left that night with ALL SORTS of ideas and motivation in my head! Now I just have to put it all into motion! HAHA



Of course, I think the last day was what ALL of us were looking forward to the most. After all the hard work, dieting, focus and dedication, we were finally able to get our pics taken by a well renowned photographer and have our "moment in the limelight" shall we say! I think Paul was surprised how many of us there were, but even by the end of the day, he still had a positive attitude and was still giving each and every one of us the same attention as he was at the beginning of the day....just with a few more bandaids on his fingers....HAHA You know you've taken a lot of pictures WHEN right!? LOL We got beautified by hair and makeup artists, picked out our outfits, and waited our turn. I just LOVED watching each and every girl had a totally DIFFERENT, but BEAUTIFUL look. It all went by way too fast! :) I don't see myself ever standing out surrounded by the girls that were there, but it sure was fun to be a model for a day :)









Just before I left for this trip, I did find out that they are going to be having a FEM Camp in Calgary this Fall August 9-11 with another fantastic fitness photographer David Ford. I will be attending FOR SURE!!! One of the most exciting parts of the weekend for me was being asked to be the FEM Camp Ambassador for Calgary!!! One of the perks of my recent involvement with Social Media! :) Thankyou #mompowerteam for that!!! :)

All in all, the weekend was WELL worth the investment. I met AMAZING friends I'll have for life, I have a rejuvenated motivation, the desire to create opportunity for myself, and I just feel proud of myself! Thankyou Monica Brant  monicabrant.com, @MonicaFEMCamp, and Lynda Thoresen https://www.facebook.com/lynda.cromartythoresen, @FEMCampLynda for putting together such an organized F(un)E(ducational)M(motivational) Camp!! It will always be a fond memory! :)

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your pics! You look amazing.

    Where did you get your blue shorts? They are very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got them at Lululemon like 6 years ago unfortunately!!! I'm not sure if they have this style anymore, because I looked for them in black before the shoot. They were the boyshorts. Hopefully they get more stock soon! They have a great waistband that gives lots of wiggle room for the muffin top! HAHA No slicing as my husband would say! HAHA

    ReplyDelete