Tuesday 25 February 2014

What to look for in a Protein Powder??

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen!!! I went to a conference last weekend and I learned A LOT!! You know me and the science of insulin resistance, cortisol, alkalinity and controlling inflammation!! BUT that tends to be WAY MORE complicated than most even want to THINK about! ;)

ANYWAY, I learnt some stuff to look for when purchasing protein powders!!! This was asked on my Facebook page www.facebook.com/operationcompetitionlean the other day and it's pretty much the MOST IMPORTANT meal post exercise, so it's really important to choose the highest quality shake as possible! Just in case you didn't see the post I'm talking about I'll start from square one, and add it what I learnt ;)

1. The best whey is whey CONCENTRATE. (it has less protein, BUT has all sorts of enzymes and nutrient transporters that the others don't, so you will ABSORB more and it helps with the immune system.) Isolate is the next best thing because of it's high protein content, but won't help with immunity.....this is ok, as long as the rest of your diet is clean and supports immunity! In most of your cases, that is a yes! :)

2. Look for GRASS FED New Zealand Whey. If it doesn't say grass fed, it isn't!!! Supplement companies WILL advertise this! If it says grass fed, finished organic grain, it ISN'T the same quality! Companies do this so they can get away with saying it's a high quality grass fed and they put the rest in fine print...ARGH!!! MARKETING!!!!!! The reason this is such a good source is that it has the HIGHEST content of the BCAA's our bodies need for growth and repair....and you know me and BCAA's!!! HAHA


3. If you are looking at a protein powder that has 20 grams of protein and the first ingredient is whey concentrate, ( a complete protein, meaning your body can use it for growth and repair) but lower down on the list you see pea protein or soy protein (which are incomplete proteins), this isn't good, and the company is using those as cheap fillers. Because WHEY is a complete protein, they can advertise their product as complete, HOWEVER only 50% or so, of it IS complete. Therefore in reality you are only getting about 10 grams of protein you can use....not worth your money!!!

4. I've never even seen it, but Goats Milk Protein is pretty good. It just has 50 % less BCAA's than Grass Fed New Zealand Whey.

5. AND of course when we get to sucralose and aceslufame K-it's best to avoid this because of alkalinity. It's PH is neutral in the mouth, but it's VERY acidic once broken down in the intestine. This kills off the good bacteria (flora) in your stomach, leading to inflammation and poor recovery....try to look for natural sweeteners, like stevia

ANYWAY, that was long and convoluted, but I thought it was really interesting stuff, and I know I've wasted money in my day on crap and false advertising!!!

When it comes to baking snacks and such, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just find something that tastes good! But when it comes to post workout nutrition you want it to work FOR you and your growth and repair! That's the time to pick the best sources possible!!! :)

Still don't know where to start?? Email me at steph.laurendeau@sisinshape.com for more information on what I've been using! It's changing my body, giving me energy and making me feel phenomenal!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment